Appliqué and Quilt Stencil Evening - by Janet S
· Blue & Green squares sewn together – beautiful!
· Mini Exhibition: forms to be in by September meeting, hand in labelled four way & jar challenges at October meeting, Jenny Rayment cushions – hand
in on the night but well before start of exhibition, in September provide information regarding items members want to be sold.
· Reminder: Hever Castle Quilt Exhibition – 13-15 September.
· Reminder: Three places left on Linda Mercer’s Workshop.
· Update: coach trip on 2nd April 2014 to Lady Sew & Sew - with lots of attractions – more details to follow.
· Events: Chailey 6 Textile Group Exhibition 30-31 August, 10-4 at Chailey Reading Room, Chailey Green, BN8 4DA. Surrey Regional Day 28th
September 10-3.30 at Old Barn Hall, Church Road, Bookham. Make a Quilt for Linus Day on 26 October 9.30-2.30 at Woodmanstern Village
Hall, Carshalton Road.
· December meeting: bring a small made or bought (maximum £5) gift.
Stencil Quilting Shapes with Julia
We saw various stencils, threads; blue pen, pencils and completed samples. We stitched anexample for ourselves on a calico sandwich with 80/20
wadding - very enjoyable.
Machine Reverse Appliqué with Pat
We looked at ‘Pile and Plunder’ by Abbie Anne Searle, several samples of reverse appliqué made by Pat. She explained the process – layers of different fabrics, design applied to top layer; machining all layers around the outlines of the design; cutting away different layers in various parts of
the design – very interesting.
Appliqué with Margaret
Rather than needle turning the appliqué pieces, most people use Bondaweb ironed onto the shapes and freezer paper can also be used. We looked at Margaret’s samples showing both hand quilting e.g. herringbone and blanketstitches and machine quilting e.g zig- zag and satin stitch – very interesting.