January Meeting - by Lindsey
Julia welcomed members to the first meeting of 2015 and announced that it was the 15th anniversary of Shirley Quilters.
Thanks were given to Eileen and her husband for their hard work on the newly updated website.
There were a number of notices, which members were asked to note:
- to remember to sign in at each meeting
- to inform the committee if they are going to miss a meeting
- to inform the board committee if they cannot do their stint on the refreshments rota so that alternatives can be asked
Spare copies of the rota and programme are available for those unable to download from a computer
December meeting forum
Outcomes of the December forum and a new members information sheet have been prepared and will be sent to all members to read shortly.
- Guildford Quilters are having an exhibition from 12 April at Clandon Park, Guildford
- Ardingly craft show is this weekend, 23-26 January
- Plush Addict has an open day on 31 January. There will be a visit by Shirley Quilters on 6 March and members should put their names on the list if they were hoping to go, for refreshments purposes
- The SQ Bag Workshop takes place on 14 March. Members should put their name on the list to book. An example of the finished bag was displayed.
- The Knit and Stitch Show at Olympia will be held 5-8 March, The Quilters' Guild are looking for volunteers to help on the stand and in workshops, in exchange for a free ticket. Members should speak to Julia if interested.
February meeting - Fabric Cards
Julia read out the list of materials required for the next meeting, which will also be emailed to members.
This year's nominated charity will be from June 2015 until May 2017. Nomination forms are now available and all nominations must in by the April meeting, so that they can be considered and voted on at the AGM. The main criteria for nominations is that charities must be registered with a charity number, be local and preferably linked to a member.
From the February meeting, there will be an ingredients table for members to sell fabric, embellishments, wadding etc. The table will be available at the February/May/June/July/Aug/October meetings. Members will be responsible for putting out their items, selling them and putting them away after each meeting. No finished goods should be sold on the ingredients table.
Julia reported on a good website called Sewandso, which had some great products, including very reasonably priced aperture cards.
Members were encouraged to give details of any good sites they find to the committee to pass on to members, with the possibility of being included on the Shirley Quilters website.
The MS Therapy Centre in Coulsdon has asked if members would be willing to make knitted baskets for their Easter fundraising scheme. All interested members were given a pattern, which would also be emailed. All baskets should be handed in at the February meeting.
A letter of thanks was received from the injured servicemen organisation (Q4IS) for the donation of £70 from the proceeds of the Shirley Quilters Exhibition in October.
2015 Quilting challenges
Julia explained the four challenges which members would undertake in 2015, which should prove to be very interesting. Examples were displayed at the meeting and questions answered.